birding-aus

Weekend at Gluepot

Subject: Weekend at Gluepot
From: "Nicholas Talbot" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:11:14 +1100

Hi All,
I managed to spend the SA election weekend at Gluepot. It turned out I was the only visitor for the weekend, which isn't surprising in summer I suppose. My aim in going there was to see a Striated Grasswren. My preparations included buying the birds of Gluepot CD so I could familiarise myself with the call. SO I spent quite some time driving about with rather loud bird calls coming out of the car. I then tried the Picnic Dam walk and Grasswren tank but it was a grasswren free zone. Then I tried the Callitris? walk at about 7pm and had one calling right beside me it crossed the path right in front of me less than 10 metres away but it was too fast for binoculars. I tried the same three sites the next morning and had the luck to see a group of Regent Parrots going overhead at about 7am at Grasswren tank. I followed them and found 100+ of them not far from the tank (s33 42.448 e140 12.654). They all looked very green to me, instead of the bright yellow my books led me to expect. Does anyone know why that would be? I also got another fleeting glimpse of a grasswren crossing Track 8 near Grasswren tank and heard several calls but no good view. Then back to Callitris? walk basically until I was planning to leave. I set myself a deadline (mid-day) and after a bit of walking sat down near an active Malleefowl mound hoping that I'd see either the Grasswren or the malleefowl. Neither showed up by mid-day so I walked back to the car and heard another Grasswren call within 50 metres of the car. I followed and after a good deal of hide and seek managed to get good views of two or three grasswrens.(s33 45.757 e140 12.561).

The other highlights:
Blue Bonnet
Mulga Parrot
Brown Falcon
Rainbow Bee-eater
Owlet Nightjar (in daylight on Track 8 at s33 44.080 e140 12.595)
Variegated fairywren
White Browed treecreeper
Chestnut Quail Thrush
Chestnut Crowned Babbler