birding-aus

Unknown duck

To: <>, "Dunkerley Gillian" <>
Subject: Unknown duck
From: "Simon Mustoe" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 23:18:08 +1100
Michael,

No, the terminology isn't out of date. As a pom just recently arrived in
Aus, I can attest to the fact that British birders still check their male
teals for the diagnostic white crescent, in the vain hope that they can
become the envy of all their birding friends (and perhaps stand a chance of
finding their first trans-atlantic yankee vagrant - Green-winged Teals are
not all that uncommon but easily overlooked). The bird in question is most
definitely of the yankee sort and I would be surprised if one had not
occurred in Australia before.

On the subject of absolute features for identification: in addition to the
white crescent, Green-winged Teal has buff, not white leading edges to the
speculum and lacks distinct vermaculations on the flanks (which is suggested
also by the photo).

Simon.

Simon Mustoe - Principle

AES Applied Ecology Solutions Pty Ltd.
59 Joan Avenue
Ferntree Gully
Melbourne
Victoria 3156
AUSTRALIA

Telephone 03 9762 2616
International Telephone +61 (0) 3 9762 2616
Mobile 0405 220830
Email
Website www.onthe.net.au/ecologysolutions