birding-aus

White-faced Heron neck-shaking

To: "Syd Curtis" <>
Subject: White-faced Heron neck-shaking
From: "John Walter" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 20:59:31 +1000
Syd,
I have not seen what you describe in White-faced Herons. However I have
observed what is called Canopy feeding, which is the action of bringing the
wings forward over the head in an umbrella like formation and is used by
Black Herons, Egretta ardesiaca in East Africa. This habit is described in
detail in 'The Herons Handbook' by James Hancock and James Kushlan. The same
book does not mention what you describe, but they do mention that WFH use
such strategies as Foot Stirring, Head Tilting, Gleaning, Wing Flicking and
Running with wings extended. So maybe what you describe is yet another
string to their bow, so to speak.
John & Ruth Walter
Pittsworth SE Qld
27 43 31S  151 38 03E