birding-aus

Tree Sparrows

To: Brian Fleming <>
Subject: Tree Sparrows
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 14:28:28 +1000
Anthea's posting reminded me to check our records of nest sites.

I was surprised to find I have more for tree sparrows than for
house sparrows, and that all the tree sparrow ones relate to
artificial sites.  Now we see house sparrows mainly in shopping
centres but tree sparrows scattered around.  Perhaps the nesting
opportunities are crucial....  I think they usually use hollows,
but of course most natural hollows around are taken by other
species after they, rapidly, grow.  Pipes, blinds,...... do not
admit smaller birds (but go you bats!)

a) in two years they were nesting in the structure over the
petrol pumps at a garage (same site)
b) they have been found in 3 years nesting in the structures at
the top of external (dutch?) blinds (two very different sites)
c) in two years in (toilet?) overflow pipes on the top storey of
3-storey Housing Commission flats (and probably a similar site
elsewhere).

Michael Norris