birding-aus

California Sandplover

Subject: California Sandplover
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 10:14:47 +1100
I did indeed look up HANZAB to ascertain subspecies, and promptly forgot all their names. However the race of Lesser Sand Plover with the largest bill breeds in China/the Himalayas. This is to the west of the eastern most breeding records of the nominate race of Greeater Sand Plovers. I mention this because the American notes said they believed it could not be a Greter because they breed to far across Asia (i.e. further away). I don't think this subspecies has been recorded inAustralia (though the subspecies group it belongs too does). The western most race of the Greater also has a smaller bill (just to make matters worse), but also does not reach Australia. In regard to the Californian Plover I still beilieve it is a Greater. There is a comment that the bird is only slightly larger than a Sanderling, which comparing the measurements of all three species would make Greater the more obvious (Mongolians are slightly smaller).
This is my laymans interpretation of HANZAB.
Hope this is not too confusing.
Cheers,
Peter