birding-aus

Report from Nth. Victoria

To: "Birding Australia" <>
Subject: Report from Nth. Victoria
From: "Chris Coleborn" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:34:20 +1100
G'day all,

After some hot weather, the idyllic autumn weather of warm still days and
cool nights has arrived. The main interest birdwise is migrating birds. It
was quite unusual to have a Dollarbird hang around the area until several
days ago. A flock of at least ten White-bellied Cuckoo Shrikes have hawked
among the Red Gums and Black Box along Gunbower Creek for the last couple of
days. A single Regent Parrot was also seen on Gunbower Island - a rare event
these days, though the old
timers report that in the past flocks would often be seen in the area.
Various cuckoos have been passing through too. We see the occasional Pallid
and Black-eared. The most common is the Horsfield's Bronze. Rainbow
Bee-eaters left the immediate area of Gunbower Island where I live two days
ago. While we miss the migrants, we continue to enjoy our resident birds. I
was with some friends in the Terrick Terrick National Park on Monday and
Black-chinned and Brown-headed Honeyeaters were calling and flying in their
energetic way in the tree tops. Gilbert's Whistlers were calling and putting
in an occasional shy appearance. Diamond Firetails, Southern Whiteface,
Hooded and Red-capped Robins were readily seen, as were a Peregrine, Hobby
and various other more common to the area raptors and bushbirds. It was
interesting to read of the Plumed Whistling Duck reported from Bendigo. For
the last five years and more several flocks have been resident in the area
between Gunbower Island and Bendigo about 25 km east of the Terrick Terrick
National Park. We continue to have a good selection of ducks in the area
despite the hunting season now open. Plains-wanderers continue to be seen in
the Terrick Terrick National Park as well a Little Button Quail.

Regards,

Chris Coleborn