birding-aus

Pelagic Boat Trips

Subject: Pelagic Boat Trips
From: allan benson <>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 09:50:16 -0800
Tony Palliser wrote:

> I note with interest that pelagic bookings appear to have all but dried
> up recently?  Does Anyone have any ideas as to why this might be?
> Perhaps its the time of year?  the cost? a reduction in the number of
> birders or is it just that all the locals have now seen all the birds?

Its probably a combination of factors including all of the above and the
fact there are 3 pelagic trips now operating in the Sydney area. I was
on the last trip out of Swansea and was very impressed with the boat and
the trip. This means the number of birders willing to take a trip is
spread much thinner.

I usually try to get in 2 trips per year a summer and a winter trip. I
have been on about 10 trips out of Wollongong, 2 out of Sydney and one
out of Swansea.

The Sandra K out of Wollongong is my favourite boat because it always
seems to get the better birds. I think this is due to a combination of
factors including it is a little further south, it looks like a fishing
trawler the birds associate with food and they berley from the harbour
taking out the gulls which attract the shearwaters or albatrosses etc.
Thus there is always something to look at but its a bloody long, hard
day with a 2 hour drive each way from my place ie up at 4.30 am and home
about 7pm and the 4 hours back from the shelf is an eternity as the
cliffs above Wollongong never seem to get any closer and everybody is in
this semi-comatose state induced by tiredness, seasickness and boredom
(after the berley has gone).

Both my trips on the Halicat out of Rose Bay have been pretty ordinary.
In both trips the birds were not able to attracted to the boat and in
December 2000 we drifted for hours and managed to attract 6 Great-winged
Petrels to the slick. I find the configuration of the boat less than
ideal as the people tend to be split up. However, its great to be able
to power back in from the shelf.

The Swansea boat "Offshore" is a game fishing boat, which takes 13
people out 60 km in about 2 hours. The boat is very comfortable and the
skipper provides plenty of food and drink (and as half the people get
seasick there is plenty of food for those who don't). Last trip we
powered out to the shelf, drifted for a couple of hours then came back
slowly. We had no trouble attracting birds and had up to 120-150
Wedge-tailed and Fleshy-footed Shearwaters in our wake coming back in.
My estimation of the trip was greatly enhanced by the fact we had
extended views of two Tahiti Petrels.

So the on balance the Swansea trip will probably get my vote
particularly as it is only 3/4 hour away but I'll probably make the
effort to do a winter trip out of Wollongong or even better Eaglehawk in
Tasmania or Portland. I'd love to see a Sooty and Light-mantled Sooty
Albatross.However, the planning the Portland trip from Sydney is always
a probelm as it gets cancelled regularly because of the conditions.

So if you've never been on a pelagic trip- give it a go. You'll never
forget your 1st sighting of a Wandering Albatross, you will marvel at
the identifaction skills of the likes of Pete Miburn, Tony Palliser,
Dion Hobcroft, Phil Hansbro etc. and there is something special  in
sharing in the excitement of a rarity and that magic cry "STOP THE
BOAT".

Allan

--
Allan Benson
8 Sherston Close Niagara Park NSW Australia