birding-aus

Re: Vocal classification of species

To: "Max O'Sullivan" <>,
Subject: Re: Vocal classification of species
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 10:29:36 +1100
Max (& others)
Difference in vocalisations is not enough.  The first thing to check for is
whther you are dealing with a cline.  Many widespread birds in Oz have
calls at one end of their range significantly different from those at the
other end; but in between you would of course find only very subtle
differences.  Also there are some species that have individual repertoires,
so you couldn't use vocal differences there.  However, particularly with
groups where voice is the main mechanism for genetic isolation, such as
owls, different calls are a good guide, at least prima facie, that we are
dealing with separate species.  A good acid test is to tape the calls of a
male of one taxon in the breeding season and to play that tape in the
territory of a male of the other taxon.  If you get no reaction in the
breeding season, it's a good bet you are dealing with two species.
However, ideally, you would look for some other confirming evidence.  The
best of course is DNA sequencing.

John

At 15:36 8/02/01 +1000, you wrote:
>    In a recent American publication, I read the  following that may be of
>interest to some readers:   "Mario Cohn-Haft (a Brazilian  ornithologist)
>was recently awarded a Ph.D. in zoology from Louisiana State  University
>for his research on Hemitriccus, an obscure genus of small  flycatchers
>known as tody-tyrants. Mario showed that vocally recognizable  populations
>of this bird are genetically distinct.   He found that vocal classification
>is a better  way of recognising genetic differences in these birds than the
>physical  appearance-based subspecies classifications found in most field
>guides.   "   Does this point to similar possibilities in some  of our own
>bird populations in which the call is noticeably different in  different
>parts of the country? Cicadabirds and Mistletoebirds, for example,  have
>noticeable call variations that have been pointed out to me on numerous
>occasions. So now, we not only have to record all subspecies in case of
>future  splits but also have to take note of vocalisation in birds that
>might look the  same but sound different in case they are different
>species!   Cheers   Max O'Sullivan Brisbane
John Penhallurick
Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
Canberra, Australia
Phone BH( 61 2) 6201 2346   AH (61 2) 62585428
FAX (61 2) 6258 0426        Mobile 0408 585 428
Snail Mail  Division of Communication and Education,
            University of Canberra,A.C.T.2601, AUSTRALIA

OR (Private) PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA

"I'd rather be birding!"
"Vivat,crescat,floreat Ornithologia" Hartert,Vog.pal.Fauna,p.2016.
"Sunt lacrimae rerum." Virgil, Aeneid,i,462.