birding-aus

Re: Vocal classification of species

To: <>
Subject: Re: Vocal classification of species
From: "Van Gasse" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 12:51:59 +0100
Max,

Not really so. The birds studied by Mario Cohn-Haft belong to the Tyrannidae
family, which are part of the Suboscine passerines, which are almost
confined to the New World. The only Old World birds belonging here are the
pittas, broadbills, asities and New Zealand wrens. Recent studies have shown
that songs among the suboscines are mainly innate, and thus rather
invariable. That's also why the study of vocalizations in this group can
furnish valuable information concerning their taxonomy.

In the other passerines, however, to which the families you mention belong,
the learning process plays an important role in vocalizations, and it is
thus not hard to understand that they can fairly easily change in time, and
from one area to another. In fact, 'dialects' are common in many
well-studied birds, even within the same subspecies. These differences do
not normally have taxonomic consequences.

Paul Van Gasse
Kruibeke, Belgium