birding-aus

Bowerbirds - a glimmer of hope?

To: <>
Subject: Bowerbirds - a glimmer of hope?
From: "Ian Cowan" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 23:02:34 +1000
I received a reply from the state member for Barron River (Dr Lesley Clark) today which perhaps offers some hope arising from the sorry bowerbird saga.  It would appear that some changes will result, but I guess it is really a case of wait and see.

(Yes, I know we are in full election campaign mode in Queensland at the moment but there is no political intent in my providing this letter to birding-aus)

Ian Cowan

The letter is as follows:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the use of bower birds for research purposes.

 I share your concern and expressed this view to Minister Rod Welford.

 I am pleased to be able to tell you that as a result of our concerns there have been significant changes in the way that applications for research projects are handled by the Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service (QPWS).

 In future, the issuing of all scientific permits will involve the central office of QPWS, to ensure there is a consistent approach.  Where a scientific permit has special characteristics a new review committee will be established.  This committee will comprise both scientists and members of the wider community who will express a view on the scientific approach being used and whether it meets community standards.  The committee will evaluate all permits and make recommendations to QPWS. .

At present, negotiations are ongoing with the researchers to explore the option of amending their research methodologies.  While in my view the current permit should not have been issued, a new protocol for dealing with applications for research involving our native wildlife has now been developed.

 I do apologise for the delay in responding to your letter of concern while I sought further advice. I will continue to follow up this issue and keep you informed.

 Thank you for your commitment to our unique Australian wildlife, which we all have a responsibility to protect.

 Yours sincerely