birding-aus

Bowerbirds for science-the guilty ones!

To: birding <>
Subject: Bowerbirds for science-the guilty ones!
From: Laurence Living <>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 23:09:25 +1100
On a birding trip to Cairns last month I was more than reassured by the
continuing outrage by birders and others interested in bird conservation
over the killing of bowerbirds for science.

Anger was not only expressed about the 'killing' itself but also because
no-one seems to have been brought to account for it nor is there any
reassurance that this kind of practice is not continuing.

I think it is fair to say that the birders of Australia would like more
information about what has happened since this matter became public.

The researcher, Lainey Day, the supervisor, John Endler, James Cook
University and its Ethics Committee have all been silent and wish the
matter would die down so they can get on with the job. Or is there some
regret or explanation forcoming? Condemned in their silence?

How many bowerbirds have been put to the sword for science?

The QNPS [EPA], a CSIRO Ethics Committee[Atherton], a Ministerial
intervention, have all been mentioned as playing a part in granting the
permit.

Who was responsible for granting the permit and what is the process for
putting these permit applications in the public arena?

Some ten years ago my application for doctoral studies at Monash
University went to an ethics Committee. Any research that could
potentially harm human or other species was clearly rejected.

I am also confuse about Birds Australia position on this subject since,
as far as I am aware, the organisation has remained silent on the
matter, though the President lives in Queensland.

More information someone.

Laurie Living