birding-aus

Minmi Wetalnds & Painted Snipe

To: <>
Subject: Minmi Wetalnds & Painted Snipe
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:06:52 +1100
Hi Birders,
This is just a note to say that John McLennan & I visited Cedar Hill Drive Swamp (at Minmi, west of Newcastle NSW) this morning from 9-10 am and caught up with the male Painted Snipe, abourt 12 Latham's Snipe, 1 Wood Sandpiper, 1 Black-tailed Native-hen, 1 Buff-banded Rail, a Sea-Eagle and Whistling Kite, 58 Masked Lapwings, numerous Black-fronted Plovers and sundry other waterbirds but no Little Bitterns!

At the Ash Island ponds there were about 30 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, 12 Pacific Golden Plovers, 190+ Pied Stilts some nesting, 3 Marsh Sandpipers, Greenshanks and Red-necked Stints, nesting Black-shouldered Kite, Marsh Harrier, Brown Falcon, 2 Brown Quail, 2 Buff-banded Rails, numerous all four egrets, White Ibis and Royal Spoonbill but try as we might we could not turn any of the Sharpies into Pectoral Sandpipers!

Alan Morris