birding-aus

Publicity

To: <>
Subject: Publicity
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 16:02:06 +1100
Hi.

A note of interest in this subject - I think a lot of people seemed to have
missed the most fundamental context in terms of bird publicity.

A central aspect of bird watching is the aesthetic. Getting children et al
interested in the kind of birds found in our cities is problematic from the
beginning, for example who would get exited over sparrows, starlings and mynahs
- they're just not that appealing, and the storyline is not a good read.

To begin at the beginning the answer is simple - we must try and re-introduce
indigenous birds to our city landscape (occupation of 90% of the population).
It's far more exciting and aesthetically pleasing to see indigenous species
such as honeyeater, finch, parrot and cockatoo, falcon and hawk, egret and
heron, duck and plover, owl and frogmouth and so on.

The first step therefore is sound ecology - clean up the cities waterways and
plant indigenous species of plants in our parks and gardens. Fortunately the
environmental side of our city environ has been improving slightly - however
the most active way (read action) to promote/market birds is through the
re-establishment of native flora and fauna.

Tim