birding-aus

Moths.

To: "Paul Walbridge" <>
Subject: Moths.
From: Andy Burton's Bush Tours <>
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 09:46:43 +1100
Morning all,

have been trying to snatch a break from my Olympic duties to comment on the moth query.

Many of my evenings are spent on Garden Island, the naval base in Sydney Harbour, where the MS Deutschland and Nieuw Amsterdam are moored for the duration of the Olympics. The ships are flanked by floodlights which attract thousands of moths and an attendant flock of gulls, wheeling above the ships, presumably feeding on the moths.

The majority of the moths are, I believe, Bogongs, although I am willing to stand corrected as I am not a moth expert. However, mixed in with these moths are large numbers of Hawk Moth Gnathothlibus erotus, not a moth that I see very often.

It is quite reasonable to assume that the same species are being attracted by the floodlights further up the Harbour/Parramatta River at Homebush Bay, the Olympic site.

Am attending two sessions of the athletics and one of the hockey so will be checking for moth corpses.

Regards, Andy

Hi Birding-aussers, just been watching the track & field this evening, have you noticed the ever increasing presence and consistency of size of the moths appearing on screen?

It has been some years since I lived in Sydney but I did witness in some years, Bogong Invasions. I am pretty sure from memory, that this would be the right time of year (Spring) and the insects tonight seemed to be consistent in size.

Maybe I am just imagining it, those lights would obviously attract a lot of moths, but these seemed to be everywhere. If so, things could get interesting with the track over the next few days. Any entomologists out there have any views? Cheers - Paul Walbridge.

--
Andy Burton's Bush Tours
12/8 Cambridge St,

Ph 61 2 9954 0893