birding-aus

Spring Migrants

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Spring Migrants
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 07:21:36 +1000
G'day All,
With regard to first spring migrants....would anyone find a use for these
details?
I certainly enjoy reading of these arrivals and generally record my first
observations annually, (I think Jill Denning accumulated this info last year)

Hi Tom,

I was just thinking about migrant arrivals this morning, and
wondering what I would say if someone asked me to record them this
year. I have so much on my plate now, and am tempted to say no, but I
guess they can sit in a pile until I have time. OK, so if anyone
wants to send me their spring first time sightings of the following
birds, please do so. However, I am not recording YOUR first sighting
of a bird in itself, but rather the first time you see a particular
bird in a patch which you visit frequently. We are seeking to
ascertain the pattern or randomness of arrivals. I must say you're a
lousy mob to get departure details out of! You only seem interested
in arrivals. in any case, I was out of the country this year during
the northward migration.

So I need: (This is only for east coast Australia)
OBSERVER
DATE
LOCATION
SPECIES
Write SPRING MIGRANTS in the subject line

for the following species:
CHANNEL-BILLED CUCKOO
DOLLARBIRD
KOEL

Many of the birds mentioned, of interest to some people, are only
partial migrants, and that's a bit messy to record. e.g. Leaden
Flycatcher.
--
Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Qld