birding-aus

Re:Prov Pintail

To: "birding-aus, " <>
Subject: Re:Prov Pintail
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 20:41:06 +1000
It was only when reading Dion's posting that I realised the significance of
a sighting in December 1975.  I was on leave from the Solomon Islands and
was birding with a Gold Coast birder at Terranora Lakes west of Tweed Heads
NSW.  In those days, large areas around the lake were rainforest with less
than a dozen homes in the whole area.

During this trip we sighted a small group of Metallic Starlings (5 or 6).
As a visitor from the Solomons, I was able to identify these birds with
certainty.  My companion had spent several weeks the previous summer as my
guest in Honiara.  He, too, was certain of the ID.  A note was made at the
time but as the habitat was suitable, no great surprise was expressed.

In the summer of 1980, another Metallic Starling was seen near Mount Perry
west of Bundaberg Qld.  This bird was outside of its range and the habitat
was also unsuitable.  I was familiar with Drongos and Koels and had only
recently returned from the Solomons.  This sighting was reported to the
Atlas with full description and listed knowledge of the species (I had a
nesting tree in my backyard in Honiara).  The sighting was rejected with no
reasons given.

Pizzey and Doyle state "... vagrant to NSW".  How often is this species
sighted well to the south of its range as far as NSW?  The small group I saw
in 1975 indicate that more than the odd straggler must reach Northern NSW.

Perhaps it is another case of fewer birders than rarities.

Terry Pacey
TOOWOOMBA QLD 4350