birding-aus

Early LRP in Darwin

Subject: Early LRP in Darwin
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:59:00 +0930
This afternoon I found a Little Ringed Plover at the sewage works in
Darwin. It is the earliest record of the species that I have (from at
least 25 individual birds, over 16 years), my previous earliest being
20 September, though I haven't always been meticulous in my
record-keeping. The bird was still in breeding plumage, though not
pristine, and will probably soon be in winter plumage. I presume it
to be race curonicus, which is the one most frequently occurring
here. There are also some very early White-winged Black Terns.

Not much is turning up in the traditional wader roost at Buffalo
Creek, and unfortunately it looks as though this site may be a thing
of the past unless something happens to limit the dogs and
vehicles on the beach. I've heard a whisper that it may be taken
over by Parks & Wildlife, which would possibly save it. It has in the
past held thousands of waders during the summer and was where
the Kentish Plover and Black-headed Gull were found.

Enjoy the forthcoming migration
Niven