birding-aus

Morcombe guide

To: Vella <>
Subject: Morcombe guide
From: andrew stafford <>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:06:47 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Edwin and Dorothy,

It can be tough being critical of what is after all a
herculean effort on the part of the author: a field
guide takes many years to complete, and then they face
the prospect of having their work pulled apart.

But there is also a substantial ego component involved
which should not be forgotten. And for every birder's
nitpicky comment, there will be lavish reviews by
non-birders who don't know better in the mainstream
press.

It is too easy to sit back and congratulate those
lucky enough to get a publishing contract. Sure, we
may not be able to do better ourselves, but a
non-critical culture ultimately only rewards
mediocrity. This will not encourage publishers to lift
their game.

I agree with Niven's McCrie's comments that authors
seem to be highly selective in whom they choose to
comment on their drafts and plates. As a result too
much work that really shouldn't pass muster is getting
through.

A field guide should be both accurate and
comprehensive. Unlike the Pizzey and Knight guide,
Morcombe's book seems to at least satisfy the latter
criteria, but there is no way birders could identify
many of the seabirds (at least) on the strength of
this book. There are many other examples.

The situation now is that the few big names in
Australian birding now dominate the field guide
market. This is a shame. It means there will be no new
or better books, only reprints, for years to come.
Simpson and Day in my opinion is one of the better
books but it loses lustre with every reproduction when
it needs a thorough revision.

Have a look at the latest British Field Guide to see
how it can and should be done.

Whine grump, grump whine!

Best

AS

--- Vella <> wrote: > I  second
Dorothy's comments. Michael has certainly