birding-aus

Cloncurry Parrot (Mallee Ringneck) nesting & feeding

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Cloncurry Parrot (Mallee Ringneck) nesting & feeding
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 19:11:52 +1000
g'day all,

The recent discussion re Michael Morcombe's new Field Guide has prompted me to post the following observation of a pair of nesting Cloncurry Parrots that we saw together.

Michael rang me about a fortnight ago when he and his wife arrived in the Isa and with some other questions asked "..did I know where there were any of Cloncurry Parrots that he could photograph ? ..." Yes was the answer as I noticed one going into a knot hole just a few days earlier. (When showing some Atlassers Painted, Zebra, Double-bar and Long-tail Finches with Pictorella Mannikins drinking at the one spot just nearby.)

 We noted that both birds would leave the hole for up to 2 hours and on return the female (presumably) would enter the hole and reappear after about 10 mins. She would then be fed by her mate who would regurgitate up his food and feed her after each of about 8 regurgitations. She would then re-enter the hole. 10 mins later she would reappear and both would flyaway together.

He (presumably) would bring up his food by raising his head, stretch his neck, and then drop his head onto its chest...and repeating it until he had enough food to pass over to his mate.

My home reference library has not helped me locate any info whether this practice has been observed before. Presumably aviary bird's would not have to do this ?

I would appreciate any feedback of similiar feeding observations or advice of references/papers that cover this subject.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.

ps
[Michael and his wife stayed a week in the area (including 2 at the nearby West Leichhardt Cattle Station) rather than their planned 2 days. The WLCS was perhaps noteworthy for the number of Little and Silver-crowned Friarbirds, Spotted and Great Bowerbirds all drinking and feeding together ( with Painted and other Finches) at the one windmill trough area.]

pps

[Michael advised me that the filtered sun on the nest hole would prevent him using any of the photo's but were OK for him to use as a guide for his illustrations...I returned to the site with John O'Malley who recorded this regurgitating procedure with his video camera]