birding-aus

Cloncurry Parrot (Mallee Ringneck) nesting & feeding

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Cloncurry Parrot (Mallee Ringneck) nesting & feeding
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:07:38 +1000
g'day Mike,

you wrote
 "...In many species only the female will feed the babies and the male will pass food on to the female by regurgitating...."

Many thanks for the reply and info.
I have previously seen a Cloncurry Parrot passing fig tree seeds to its mate ---obviously a mating ritual...even if they are permanent pairs

Since the first observations at the site I have noted on different days
-- after one bird has come out of the nest the other then enters (eg today)each for a few minutes
-- normally the first bird stays around until the 2nd bird comes out and they both leave the area together..but today the 1st bird flew off as soon as he came out of the nest hole.
-- one bird only returning and entering the nest (for about 5 mins)
-- both birds entering the nest together and staying about 5 mins

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.