birding-aus

vegetarians save our woodlands and our birds

To: <>, <>
Subject: vegetarians save our woodlands and our birds
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 20:27:54 +1000
I normally stay out of this one.  But.... adopting an absolutist position
that vegetarianism is necessarily conservation is not rational.  If we are
talking of feeding livestock on food which is perfectly good for human
consumption (grains, etc), then I agree that raising livestock for meat is
destructive and wasteful.  However, there are some areas where people live
where cropping on a large scale is not possible, and raising livestock is a
less destructive alternative (depending on how this activity is carried
out).

If I may draw upon my old home in Canada to illustrate that meat eating is
not necessarily environmentally destructive.  Consider the plains Indians,
who were far from being vegetarians.  They consumed buffalo, and the prairie
ecosystems remained more or less intact.  Along come a lot of farmers
growing vegetable matter (corn, wheat, barley, soybeans, etc etc) with the
result that there are huge areas under monoculture, and very little intact
prairie left.  And, when the buffalo are taken off the little bit of
prairie, it may be necessary from time to time to allow some livestock
grazing to keep it intact....

Any actitivity, or lifestyle can be destructive it is fits ill with local
natural processes.