birding-aus

Death of two drongos

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Death of two drongos
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 19:02:46 +1000
Hello all,
This strange little rather pathetic incident was reported on US Birdchat:

>Hello,

I was recently on a birding outing organised by the
Field Ornithology Group (FOG) and the Sri Lanka
Association for the Advancement of Science (SLAAS),
where we came across a somewhat unusual occurrence.

A young White-Vented Drongo ( Dicrurus caerulescens
leucopygialis) had perched on an electricity
transmission line and its parent had perched on a
line above and attempted to feed it. Both were
electrocuted when they touched. When the bodies
were recovered, the parent still had an insect
in its bill !

Regards,

Rohan Wickramasinghe

Reg Clark