birding-aus

Privet and Native Birds

To: <>
Subject: Privet and Native Birds
From: "Damian Hackett" <>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 11:27:52 +1000
Michael Norris wrote:

"An increase in pigeons is no more
valuable ecologically than an increase in Common Mynas"

I found Michael's comparison of frugivorous pigeons with Common Mynas quite disturbing.  Unlike Common Mynas, which are introduced pests, the pigeons that he refers to are native species.  Furthermore, two of the species that regularly consume camphor laurel fruits, Wompoo and Rose-crowned Fruit-doves, are listed as vulnerable under the NSW TSC Act.  Surely, an increase in the numbers of either of these species would be of considerable ecological value.

By equating the ecological value of frugivorous pigeons with that of Common Mynas, Michael overlooks the important and well-documented role that these pigeons play as seed dispersers in Australian subtropical rainforests.  Given that over 70% of the tree species in these forests are adapted for seed dispersal by vertebrate frugivores, I believe there are compelling reasons for maintaining and, where necessary, enhancing avian seed disperser populations.

The proliferation of camphor laurel and, to a lesser extent, privet in abandoned pasture in northern NSW, may go some way towards compensating for the destruction of almost all the lowland subtropical rainforest that took place in the late 19th century.
Any increases in frugivore populations that are associated with the spread of these weeds should, in my view, be seen as part of the recovery of frugivore populations in this region.

Getting back to the topic raised by Carol Probets.  The camphor laurel/avian sterility issue has been flogged to death in northern NSW, and as John McLaren pointed out, the research supposedly supporting the theory has been largely discredited.

Over the past 5 years, I've observed 19 bird species feeding on camphor laurel fruits and 12 species feeding on the fruits of large-leaved privet. The thousands of Topknot Pigeons, White-headed pigeons and Figbirds that return to the camphor laurel forests to feed on their fruits year after year simply do not bear the sterility theory out.

Regards

Damian Hackett
Rosebank, NSW