birding-aus

Privet and Native Birds

To: <>
Subject: Privet and Native Birds
From: "Peter A. Ekert" <>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 10:19:10 +1000
Dear Carol and Birding Aus,

I refer to the information provided by Joe Friend and Southern Cross University in the recent NSW WIRES Newsletter Autumn 2000.  This article seems to have created much interest with some recent enquiries at the Birds Australia (Sydney) office.

The suggestion that that Camphor Laurel is toxic to Australian Birds is very misleading.  This suggestion is purely anecdotal.  Scientific literature (and my own personal research) would suggest the contrary, that in fact, the colonisation of lowland rainforests by Camphor Laurel and to a lesser extent, privet has led to an increase in bird species, particularly the fruit eating pigeons.

Birds that have been recorded feeding on camphor laurel, such as topknot pigeon, wompoo fruit dove and white headed pigeons, have increased in numbers in the north east of nsw.  The spread of camphor laurel to the temperate parts of NSW, has coincided with more frequent sightings of Topknot and white headed pigeons in these regions, particularly in the Sydney.

If Camphor laurel once eaten, caused sterility in birds, we would be seeing a decrease in these bird species.  This is clearly not the case.

Peter

Peter A. Ekert

Co-ordinator - Monitoring Rufous Scrub-birds in Central Rainforest Reserves in NSW
Manager - Homebush Bay Bird Monitoring Project (Sydney 2000 Olympics)

Birds Australia (southern NSW and ACT group - SNAG)
PO BOX 1322
CROWS NEST NSW 1585

02 94361349
0410 566 104