birding-aus

Yet more birding in central NSW

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Yet more birding in central NSW
From: David Geering <>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 15:32:31 +1000
Yesterday Judie Peet and myself conducted more searches for Regent
Honeyeaters and Swift Parrots, this time in the Goolma area of central NSW
(between Dubbo and Mudgee).  This is an area that looks suitable for both
species.

The day started really well with a Ground Cuckoo-shrike seen sitting in a
dead roadside tree at Goolan (just west of Goolma).

I had obtained permission from the relevant landholders and we were accessed
a really nice area of Mugga Ironbark with some really impressive old trees
at Goolma.  The Mugga was starting to flower and while not prolific patches
were starting to attract substantial numbers of honeyeaters.  The most
common were White-plumed HE with good numbers of Spiny-cheeked HE, Red
Wattlebirds and flocks of White-naped and Yellow-faced HE moving through.
Only a few Musk and Little Lorikeets were seen and only one Noisy Friarbird
heard.  Despite searching, no Regents or Swift Parrots were found.  The area
does, however, beg further investigation when the flowering becomes more
profuse.

Good numbers of other woodland birds were seen including Brown Tree-creeper,
Jacky Winter, Restless Flycatcher, Specked Warbler, Diamond Firetail and, to
Judie's delight, a pair of Hooded Robin.

We lunched at a road reserve containing more flowering Mugga but this
contained only Noisy Friarbirds and Noisy Miner and a couple of Musk
Lorikeet moving through.  We then had a look at the nearby Dapper Nature
Reserve (contiguous with the first area we looked at) where more Mugga was
flowering.  This Mugga was not as impressive as that on the edges comprising
much smaller, although, mature trees.   This was flowering lightly in places
but attracting few honeyeaters.  Highlights included more Speckled Warbler,
wintering Golden Whistler and a Rose Robin.

To my mind the best birds of the day were Red-winged Parrots in a farm
garden (Judie's vote was the Hooded Robin).  This is getting close to the
most regular south-east site for this species although I am aware that they
occasionally get across to Munghorn Gap east of Mudgee.

The day finished on a reasonably pleasant note with our checking out one
corner of the small Yarinduri State Forest.  Our plans to drive through the
forest were put on hold by local advice that we were destined to get bogged
if we proceeded.  Nice old Grey Box where we looked and yet more Speckled
Warbler.

Leaving the forest the way we came in, our last birds were a pair of Spotted
Harrier near Saxa.  Despite not seeing our target species a good day was had
by both of us.

David Geering

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"