birding-aus

Silky Oaks

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Silky Oaks
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 18:00:08 +1000
Some time ago questions were asked about Silky Oaks and birdlife.  A number
of responses were provided but last weekend I was staying at my mother's
house on the northern end of the Gold Coast (Southport).    In the
neighbouring property immediately behind her house there are a number of
LARGE trees.  Some are exotics (AfricanTulip) but there is one Silky Oak
which would be approaching 20 to 25 metres in height.   I remember it as a
mature tree at least 30 years ago.

During the day I heard a great "kerfuffle" from the trees and raced outside
to see what had triggered all the alarm calls.  I searched the sky for a
raptor but saw nothing.  It was too cold for a snake but suddenly I realised
that there was a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo near the top of the Silky Oak.
The other birds were objecting strongly to the intruder.

When I looked closely, I realised that there were at least 8 species in that
one Silky Oak at the one time.  The list:   Sulphur-crested Cockatoo,
Rainbow Lorikeet, Scaly-breasted Lorikeet, Spotted Turtle-dove, Noisy
Friarbird, Noisy Miner, Magpie-lark, Magpie.

These were only the species in the Silky Oak with others in other trees and
the White Ibis on the lawn.  I have only just realised that although it is
in surburbia, I have not seen a Sparrow, Starling or Myna during a number of
visits over the last 4 months.  What a change from my place.

Terry Pacey
TOOWOOMBA QLD 4350

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"