birding-aus

Common Sandpiper in Melbourne

To: Brian Fleming <>
Subject: Common Sandpiper in Melbourne
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 14:04:31 +1000
Anthea Fleming's remark that "The stony surface [stone retaining
walls] seems to be what they like" is interesting.

In the UK my experience was they were mainly around the soft
margins of lakes and upland streams. An association with rocks
is not mentioned in most of my British bird books but one (the
RPSB's "Complete (coffee-table) Book of British Birds") says "It
feeds along the edge of lakes, rivers, EVEN - my emphasis -
sea-lochs and rocky shores."  It also says only about 50 winter
in Britain [I'm sure many more breed and much greater numbers
pass through].

However here in Victoria I think ALL my sightings have been on
rocks (by the sea in Beaumaris and at the sewage treatment
plants on channels and weirs made from rock). It's as if they
have decided to
avoid competition in their Australian "summering" grounds with
most migratory waders and with resident waders such as various
dotterels.

Is this the common experience ?  Tony Russell says they are
always at the Penrice saltfields - in what sort of habitat ? Is
SA the only state with wintering Common Sandpipers ?  Would I
have saved all this time by buying HANZAB ?

Michael Norris
Hampton, Vic.

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"