birding-aus

Common Sandpiper in Melbourne

To: <>
Subject: Common Sandpiper in Melbourne
From: "Ken Tucker" <>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 18:50:23 +0100
Here in the UK I would certainly associate the species with stony shores -
concrete embankments seem especially popular in winter and on migration.
Even when I have seen this species on an estuary it tends to inhabit the
rocky streams (complete with obligatory shopping trolley!) which feed into
it. Only rarely have I seen this species out on the estuary proper.

They breed beside lochs and fast flowing upland streams, both of which tend
to be pretty rocky.
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Ken Tucker
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK.