birding-aus

The Good the Bad and downright smelly!

To: "Jeffrey Amess" <>
Subject: The Good the Bad and downright smelly!
From: "Scott O'Keeffe" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 20:05:45 +1000
I wasnt suggesting your evidence was anecdotal.  My message said exactly
what it said.   I have anecdotal evidence of Dollarbirds being evicted by
mynas.  This is not to contradict what you have seen.  Its entirely possible
that both things happen regularly.

As for ectoparasites.  I'm well aware that most cavity nesting birds carry
lice and such things.  Give me some credit.  However, there are many types
of ectoparasites,  and some are less benign than others.  I am asking
whether anyone has specific information about the types of parasites carried
by Mynas.  There has been an assertion that one of the parasites carried by
Mynas is adversely affecting some native bird species.  An entirely
plausible theory, with many known examples to back it up.

So, does anyone have any information about the types of ectoparasites
carried by Indian Mynas.