birding-aus

The Good the Bad and downright smelly!

Subject: The Good the Bad and downright smelly!
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:07:52 +1000
Margie -

At 05:23 PM 17/04/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Common Mynas in (Eltham, Melbourne),  successfully evicted Eastern
Rosellas >from their nesting hollow last year. They took over a nest box in
an adjacent
>property and tossed the hatchlings out.  What is to be done?

If you send me a postal address I can send you our info sheet on nestboxes
that contains a description of an anti-myna nestbox with a frontal baffle.
Some feedback that I have had indicates that the concept has worked for
some people, though design details may need refinement with new
information.  One comment I have had is that the baffle eventually worked
when placed in front of the entrance to a nest site (in the roof of a
house) where rosellas had attempted to nest several times - always
unsuccessfully because of harassment and destruction of eggs / nestlings by
Common Mynas.  It was found necessary to make sure that not only did the
Mynas not have access to the nest, but also that there was no place for
them to perch nearby (as they continued to harass the rosellas even when
they could not use the nest hollow themselves).  So it is desirable, if
trying to attract rosellas to a nest-box, to make sure that the Mynas can
not perch on the nest-box itself.

Incidentally, following Jo Wieneke's comment about lousy Mynas, I had the
experience of living in a house with Mynas nesting in the roof directly
above a bathroom exhaust fan, which was sited directly above the toilet, so
that people sitting there were showered with little reddish mites.

Cheers,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"