birding-aus

How to Read / Navigate via GPS

To: Irene <>
Subject: How to Read / Navigate via GPS
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 17:18:26 +1000
Irene wrote:

> Hi everyone
> I few months ago I requested information on GPS units, Paul Taylor
> kindly provided a useful response as to features to look
> out for, and I have now received my Magellan GPS 315.  I?ve started
> playing with it and making my way through the manual.
> The manual however only explains how to display things on screens etc.
> It doesn?t actually explain ?how to navigate? or what
> some of the terminology means.  For example, it has several screens
> including a compass and a depiction of a road but nothing
> about ?how to use? these screens to, eg, get to where you want to go.
> It is also full of terminology such as heading, bearing etc. with no
> explanation of what these are. There even appears to be
> a difference between latitude/longitude in DEG/MIN.MM format and
> DEG/MIN/SEC format.  For atlassing, is True North or
> Magnetic North the best GPS setting?  Etc. Etc.
> Rather than just use the GPS only to find latitude/longitude for a
> birding atlas sheet (or Easting/Northing for record card
> for Atlas of NSW Wildlife under NPWS), I would like to learn more
> about the other functions within the gadget.
> Can anyone please recommend a good but simple, plain English and
> inexpensive book on the subject?
>
> Irene Denton
> Concord West, 12 km from Sydney city, NSW, Australia

"When all fails, RT!@&#$%M. And the missing bit is most people's comment
about the Manual.

I don't know who writes them, certainly not a user. It's a bit like
putting software installation  instructions on the CD. If you know how
to use it you don't need to be told how.

Most map shops have small books on "HOW TO USE/GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR
GPS. I've never looked at them, as generally all I want to know is which
incorrectly mapped intersection I am at (they never LOOK the way the map
shows them). Browse through them till you find one which makes sense to
YOU.

Brian Fleming
Melbourne

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"