birding-aus

land onwership for conservation

To: "Michael J Hunter" <>
Subject: land onwership for conservation
From: Hugo Phillipps <>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:48:40 +1000
Hi Michael -

At 08:00  26/03/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Unfortunately, private ownership does not exclude mining. Gluepot
>is I believe subject to some kind of mining/extraction lease even now.

I believe that this is not an issue at present - that threatened species
legislation in SA (and the birds of Gluepot) mean that the proposal will
not go ahead.  Maybe Peter Waanders can clarify this.  However, you are
right in the general sense, that private ownership does not usually give
complete protection from mining (depending on state legislation).  Even so,
I think that mining, in general,  is much less of a threat to large
reserves, and potential reserves, than continued grazing (and overgrazing),
unsympathetic fire management, sequestration of river flows and flood peaks
for irrigation, and problems with introduced predators and herbivores.  The
highly visible impact of mining on relatively small areas of land
overshadows the very extensive but less visually obvious (to the
uninformed) impact of pastoralism and agriculture in arid and semiarid
regions.

Cheerds,
Hugo

Hugo Phillipps
Communications Coordinator
Birds Australia
415 Riversdale Road
HAWTHORN EAST 3123, Australia
Tel: (03) 9882 2622, fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: <>
Web site: <http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"