birding-aus

Unnatural Heritage

To: "stuart dashper" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Unnatural Heritage
From: "Philip A Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 12:15:45 +1100
Governments paying lip service to conservation is something though not all.
Well, I for one saw it on my last day working for that department
(31-1-1999). I thought it looked terrific and asked them to send out more to
the various birding organisations. They had already sent out a lot. It is
funded by the Natural Heritage trust (proceeds from the initial sale of
Telstra), that has also funded a vast amount of landcare work. I assume that
using the ultra-taxa concept to reach the 1000 figure, means also using it
on the extinct ultra-taxa, rather than species level, though I don't know
what the 23 are.