birding-aus

Unnatural Heritage

Subject: Unnatural Heritage
From: stuart dashper <>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 16:08:59 +1100
Dear All,

Recently received an unsolicited copy of Natural Heritage (The journal of
the Natural Heritage Trust). This magazine is seemingly government
propaganda on how the NHT is solving conservation problems effectively and
efficiently. However what jarred the most was the Foreward - Bringing Back
the Birds and I quote

'Australia has more species of birds than any other continent on earth,
with more than 1000 varieties gracing our skies, waterways and landscape.
Regrettably, 23 species are presumed extinct, having not been sighted in
Australia for more than fifty years.'
This is signed by Robert Hill (minister for Environment and Heritage) and
Warren Truss (Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry).

Now I'm willing to concede that with the work carried out by Schodde et al
we may be able to stretch out to '1000 varieties' of birds including
subspecies, races, vagrants etc but I find it hard to believe that
Australia has more species than South America, Africa or Asia. I would also
like to know which 23 species have become extinct, I can only think of
Paradise Parrot and Dwarf Emu. Can someone enlighten me (or our government)?
Can someone also tell me how this colourful magazine is funded and how it
came to be sent out to birdwatchers?

Regards
Stuart Dashper

Include ONLY "unsubscribe birding-aus"