birding-aus

birding-aus Red-rumped or Striated Swallow?

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Red-rumped or Striated Swallow?
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 06:00:32 +1000
Hello Birding-ausers

On 12/1/00, 17:14:36 EST, Phil Gregory wrote " The only Australian specimen of Red-rumped [Swallow] was picked up dead by Mike Carter, ......"
On 5/1/00, 10:48:57, David James had written "As far as I'm aware, there remains only one acceptably documented record for Australia [of Red-rumped Swallow] the first one from Mossman in about 1983"

Sunbird (Journal of the Qld Ornithological Society) Vol 14, No 3, Sept 1984, page 62 contains that record.
It forms part of the Queensland Bird Report,1983 and reads as follows:

Red-rumped Swallow Hirundo daurica.  Eight birds near Daintree River Ferry (NEQ) Feb 12 DM, first Australian record; a maximum of ten at the same locality March 10-11 KB, CC, DE, TP, DAS; one bird still present April 19 HB.

NEQ = North East Queensland

DM = Dawn Maggary
KB = Kevin Bartram
CC = Chris Corben
DE = David Eades
TP = Tony Palliser
DAS = David Stewart (Morayfield)
HB = Hans Beste

Given the high quality of the observers concerned, are any of these observations [still] accepted?
Given the time lapse, can any of the observers concerned remember if they considered Streaked Swallow?
Would any of them be prepared to say what they based their identification on?

!!!!!! since I wrote the above (as a draft prior to sending to the list) I have read Tony Palliser's message, Thu Jan 13 2000, 09:00:53 EST. This goes some way towards answering the above questions but I decided to send it 'as was' for interest(?) sake. I assume the sighting in Australian Birdwatcher 10: 252-254 is the same as the one I've referred to in Sunbird, above?

Also, when and where did Mike Carter find the dead specimen of Red-rumped Swallow?

Incidentally, I have a recollection of an article, possibly in a news-letter or journal from one of the clubs/associations, giving a description of diagnostic points  (with drawings) in the patterns on tails of various swallows likely to be seen in Australia. It was a few years ago and possibly covered Welcome, Barn and Pacific but I have been unable to locate it in my collection. Does anyone have any knowledge of that article?

Bob Inglis
Woody Point
SE Qld
e-mail