birding-aus

Re: birding-aus RE: twitchathon

Subject: Re: birding-aus RE: twitchathon
From: "Peter Menkhorst"<>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:07:57 +1000
Just read Susan Myers' posting regarding twitchathon results and thought I
should comment on her statement that the Victorian record of 224 species is
held 'by Peter Menkhorst's team'.

The record was set in 1994 by Simon Bennet's team, the Dirty Harriers, to
which I was something of a late comer, competing from 1989 to 1994 [for 3
or 4 wins [can't remember] and a disqualification due to a speeding fine!].
The 1994 team comprised Simon, Rob Drummond, Kevin Bartram and me. Other
team members over the years included David Eades, Charlie Silveira,
Margaret Considine and Sandy Gilmore.

I don't recall 94 being a particularly good year but we did clean up in the
mallee before heading south - and we certainly didn't waste time sleeping.

There were only five teams in Vic this year, in contrast to nine last year.
Last year our team won with 180 species, this year with 205. The record is
224 by Peter Menkhorst's team, not sure what year.

quotes)