birding-aus

Re: birding-aus Twitchathon raising funds

To: Russell <>
Subject: Re: birding-aus Twitchathon raising funds
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 17:29:32 +1100
>Hi Anne, John Hatch is always trying to cajole me into entering the
>twitchathons and in return I always tell him that I don't like the
>fundraising bit either - I find it embarrassing to ask people. Every year
>he then tells me that it's easy to get people to SAY they'll participate
>before the event, but it takes a lot of chasing up to actually collect the
>money afterwards. Not that they don't wish to pay or that they avoid him,
>but it's just the time it takes to get around and collect the money - bit
>like a shop steward collecting union dues!
>But I still find the whole money bit embarrassing. I might even enjoy the
>tearing around finding the birds if I could let someone else do the
>fundraising, but I'd feel better just writing out a cheque.
>How do others feel about this?
>Tony.
>

>At 08:50  2/11/99 +1030, you wrote:
>>Can successful fund raisers please share their strategy for getting
>>sponsors?
>>When I entered a couple of times, some years ago, I had great difficulty
>>in attracting funding. (I live in a small, country town and I'm a bit
>>hesitant to ask individuals for money).
>>Anne
>>
>>Atriplex Services (Pronounced A-tree-plex)

Tony,

Perhaps you have to stop being so awfully sensitive and embarrassed about
money. Without money behind us, we will have no birds so do stop being such
a ninny, remember you are asking for money for a very good cause and get
out there and put the hard word on people.

Just consider how people think nothing of spending tens of dollars on
alcohol, hundreds of dollars on clothes, flash restaurant meals or holidays
at Surfers, thousands of dollars on cars, or untold millions on gambling -
if you can persuade them to part with a few dollars for the birds, you are
doing them a favour - give them the warm feeling of supporting something
worthwhile for a change.

When you can get your mind around the fact that you are not begging for
yourself, but getting others (particularly those with more money than they
know how to use constructively) to support the birds you love, you might
find your embarrasment starts to fade. You are thinking far too much about
yourself and not enough about the birds!

Penny Drake-Brockman, Examination Recitals Co-ordinator, Sydney
Conservatorium of Music.
Tel: 02 9351 1254.

quotes)