birding-aus

birding-aus Reed-Warblers

To: "" <>
Subject: birding-aus Reed-Warblers
From: Lloyd Nielsen <>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 08:52:46 -0800
birding-aus

When I was researching for 'Birds of the Wet Tropics and Great Barrier
Reef' I came across an interesting short article by the late John McKean
- 'Some Notes on the Occurrence of the Great Reed-Warbler in the
Northern Territory'  in 'Northern Territory Naturalist' No 6, p. 3.
John had had quite a bit of experience with this species in SE Asia and
had handled birds in the field.  Of the very small amount of literature
available on the Oriental, this article made the most sense.  He  was
confident he could pick them in the field.  I am unable to put my hands
on that reference at this moment but from memory he relied mostly on the
shorter heavier bill.  But then one would have to know the Clamorous
really well to pick this feature in the field.  He also dismissed the
colour of the inside of the mouth as being diagnostic.  The call is the
best key - that of the Oriental is lower in pitch and of a harsher
quality.  However, generally it is fairly silent when in Australia.  As
someone said, any reed-warbler in north-eastern Australia (and that
probably goes for NW Australia as well) at a time when most of the
Clamorous Reed-Warbler population is in their main breeding grounds in
southern Australia is worth investigating.

That reference is worth reading - if it can be got hold of.

Lloyd Nielsen
Mt Molloy  N. Qld

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)