birding-aus

birding-aus Reed-warblers

To: <>
Subject: birding-aus Reed-warblers
From: "Paul Veron" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 19:55:39 -0000
Following a couple of superb visits to Australia, I am a little confused as to the position regarding reed-warblers.

I use Clements to record my bird sightings around the World. In "Birds of the World. A Check List" he shows two species as being present in Australia as follows:-

Clamorous Reed-warbler - S.Palearctic, Oriental mainland and islands to ne Australia; and

Australian Reed-warbler - S Queensland to South Australia and Tasmania.

On this basis I had assumed that the birds I saw on a visit to Northern Territory in 1995 (at Fogg Dam) were Clamorous Reed-warblers, while those seen on a visit last year to Weribbee, Victoria were Australian Reed-warblers. Unfortunately, I have not seen Clamorous in the southern Palearctic so I was not familiar with this species when I visited NT.

I have just caught the tail-end of a thread on birding-aus relating to reed-warbler identification, having just re-subscibed following a trip abroad. Apologies if this matter was addressed in the thread, and I missed it.

Many thanks for your help in this matter

Paul K Veron