birding-aus

birding-aus RFI field guides

Subject: birding-aus RFI field guides
From: "Pat O'Malley" <>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 21:08:08 +1100
birding-aus

Ian

I hate to add any confusion - but I found the Heinzel Fritter and Parsloe
"Birds of Britain and Europe" (Collins Pocket Guide 10 pounds stg) more
interesting, as it included distribution guides to the Middle East and
Africa in its maps, as well as a guide to the correspondingly broader range
of species. Still easy to fit in the (jacket) pocket. To be honest, I
didn't see any out of range birds on the last few trips, but it added to
the interest - and the global continuity - to know about this.

I concur with the judgements about the National Geographic Fieldguide.
However much depends on your keenness to acquire books. Most of the US
guides come in 2 volumes, as you might expect: basically east and west of
the Rockies. Tory Peterson's "Eastern Birds" and 'Western Birds" are the
standard. Unlike many others who don't like photographic guides, I found
the  National Audubon Field Guides (East and West vols) good value and very
useful. Worth getting the lot - hours of fun when you come home.

Of course you can go berserk. Consider the 4 gigantic volume 'Birds of
British Columbia' (UBC Press). How did they manage to produce this source
of wonderment?

Pat O'Malley

Include "unsubscribe birding-aus" in the message body (without the quotes)