birding-aus

birding-aus Pheasant Coucal

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: birding-aus Pheasant Coucal
From: "D&C Fraser" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:14:01 +1100
birding aus

 Thanks for the replies re Pheasant Coucal. Further to my query, a few years ago a group of us were birding at the Palms Reserve near Marlo, East Gippsland, swampy jungle type country on the Cabbage Tree Ck., when a large long tailed brown bird with a weird call blundered through the tree tops about four metres up, peered at us briefly from behind a wattle trunk , and then disappeared into the bush. The sighting was only brief, we were all nonplussed, and remain so to this day. The size was right for a P.C. but so far out of range, although there are many unusual sightings in Far East Gippsland.Definitely not a Lyre Bird! Have been back many times hoping to clear up the mystery, with no luck. At that time none of us were really familiar with the P.C., and it's too long ago now to come to any conclusion about it. Even so, I still wonder!
                                      Duncan Fraser,
                                      Maffra Vic.