birding-aus

assorted ramblings

Subject: assorted ramblings
From: lorne <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 01:24:52 +1000
Hello birdlovers... Lorne here...

Some assorted ramblings...

1. Ringing a bird's neck is a touch agressive don't you think. It pisses
me off when people speak this way. Even if it is a House Sparrow, Indian
Mynah, Starling etc., it's still a wild creature. I realise these are
'common' or boring or dirty or uninteresting imported birds, in many
twitcher's eyes, but they don't deserve to die. We have to accept that
they are with us, are successful colonisers and nest builders et. al.,
and cope. Would you go and 'ring' some Metallic Starling's necks because
their colony was outside your back door, and they were common, boring,
loud, messy, dirty etc.????? Of course not. They're not feral, and are
relatively exotic.

2. There was a FERAL debate on birding-aus in 1997. I'm not going to
ressurect that, but I've actually done a little bit of rethinking. I
feel, if Pied Currawongs are killing off smaller birds and their
nestlings etc., then there should be some form of control of their
numbers. Not 'ringing' necks, but something... after appropriate,
detailed research is done on the currawong's killer instinct, so as to
ascertain the 'exact' damage they're doing.

3. God I ADORE the David Attenborough show!!!!!! He's a wonder!!!! I'm
getting the book for Xmas!!! There's a great shot of a Potoo on the end
of a branch in the book.

4. I counted 66 dead Short-tailed Shearwaters on Palm beach last
Thursday. Awful stuff. One had a large golden fishing hook through it's
beak. Great to see humans are such carers! The mutton birds probably
collapsed due to exhaustion from fighting tempestuous weather. I also
got a lifer there last Thursday... WHITE-WINGED BLACK TERNS (x2).

5. Emissions from various vehicles/machines is bad. But we can't feel
guilty about everything. Personally, I find deforestation, land clearing
for farming, erosion and mining in WORLD HERITAGE areas a worse thing.
When I go to Broome, the Bungle Bungles and The Kimberley, (places I'd
love to bird at) I will fly there, and not feel guilty about emissions.
If when I'm there I'm putting money into local businesses and
organisations supporting wildlife/nature/ornithology I will be making up
for my seat on the big, dirty, smog spilling jumbo! Carry on driving and
flying people, be sensible and check your emissions and car's health
etc., but don't kick yoursleves for everything. We have to live and have
recreational time!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for listening to my indulgences,

LORNE a.k.a. GREATER DRONGO.