birding-aus

Re: Wring its neck!

To: Muir Environmental <>
Subject: Re: Wring its neck!
From: Atriplex Services <>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:11:59 +1030
Muir Environmental wrote:

> Most baby animals need to learn from their own kind how to survive (I'm
> allowing for cuckoos et al by saying "most").  For those that must learn to
> cope in the "wild", they must learn what food is right for them, how to
> find it, how to collect it, even how to eat it; how to recognise water;
> what to avoid; what is dangerous, etc. etc.; and the many social skills
> they must have to "fit in", find a mate, and pass on their genes.  That's
> probably not all, but its a taste for thinking.
>
> We can't teach these things to a wild animal.
I agree that some things are difficult, if not impossible to teach,
notably social skills and what is dangerous. With patience and good
observational skills it is possible, though, to teach recognition of
suitable wild foods and the probable location of water (ie NOT half way
up a wire cage, next to one's roosting perch!). I find putting a mirror
with many birds helps them remember what kind of creature they are
"supposed" to consort with. I could go on - and on - and on .... But
I'll spare you all!
Regards, Anne

--
Anne & Roger A. Green
Atriplex Services-Environmental Consultants, Landscapers, Educators and

http://www.riverland.net.au//~atriplex
Mailto: