birding-aus

RE: Twitchathon 98

To: "David Geering"<>
Subject: RE: Twitchathon 98
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 17:22:53 +1100
this is the kind of thing you can go on about for hours - and indeed people
often have

every team is invited to nominate their best bird and we have nominated
really good birds (hobby at nest) and nonsense birds

in some years a judge has decided. everyone was cross (except the winners)
when Sid Cowling chose their Glossy Ibises when noone else even thought GIs
were news. Sid likes waterbirds.

this time the judge let the winning team nominate the best of other
people's best birds. for the first time in years the best bird was
non-contentious. GCBs  are iconic birds in Vic. They may become so in other
states where they are still fairly common. When I was young and not even
birdwatching they were everywhere where I come from in s e Qld. I haven't
seen one there for years.

it has been suggested best birds might be elected on a show of hands by the
people at the party. probably as good a way as any

margaret

At 01:04 PM 13/11/98 +1000, you wrote:

>Lawrie
>
>I was under the impression, perhaps an incorrect one, that GCB was judged
>the Best Bird overall in VIctoria.  I can understand a particular team
>judging it as their best bird but has someone then sat down and decided
>that GCB was a "better" (or more difficult) bird to locate than another
>teams "Best Bird" be it Regent Honeyeater, Barking Owl or Willie Wagtail?
>
>In respects my vested interest in having Regent Honeyeater judged "Best
>Bird", I'm not sure what I have to gain.  I'm certainly not going to accept
>responsibility for any species inclusion on the endangered species list.  I
>suppose my only selfish interest in the matter might be to raise the
>profile of the species in the hope that we can work out where the little
>sods go when they leave Chiltern.
>
>I raised the matter only because it seems an interesting choice to make, if
>one were being objective about it.  Mind you, I'm not sure that any
>Twitchathon team I've been involved in has been terribly objective.
>Apologies to other Thickheads out there.
>
>David Geering

Margaret Cameron                        Phone 03 5229 9792
4 Connor Street                         Fax   03 5229 1520
East Geelong
Victoria 3219                           Editor, Australian Birding Magazine
Australia                               PO Box 2013, Geelong, Victoria 3220
                                        Australia