birding-aus

Re: Birding-Aus

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Re: Birding-Aus
From: Eric Hocking <>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 09:21:48 +1000
Hi Russell and everyone,

has there every been a drive to create an Australian usenet group equivalent
to uk.rec.birdwatching or rec.birds (ngs that I'm sure a number here haunt)?

Weirdly, I got put on to Birding-Aus by a Welsh friend and was at a real
loss for sometime on where to post about Aussie birds.  A number of us are
tolerated on rec.bird, but our posts are usually restricted to comparing
similarities in behaviour to US birds, and not as specific as b-A.

I was just thinking about the past discussion regarding best birds etc.  If
this were a usenet group, newsreader applications would give participants a
wider scope for filtering unwanted messages and organising threads.

Just a thought out loud.

I'd like to thank all those who responded to my Port Fairy request.  I will
be emailing them with any results from easter and cc to birding-Aus if
anyone else wants it.  (Hey Vicki!  I might get some emu-wrens at easter.)

Russell Woodford wrote:
> Hi Folks
> Lawrie Conole kindly stepped in and put the matter very eloquently but
> plainly. Thanks, Lawrie.
> Birding-Aus is UNMODERATED.  Any one can join, and any member can send
> messages.  You have to be a member to send a message (but somehow that
> doesn't always work).  Messages SHOULD be about wild birds in the
> Australasian region (defining THAT would increase traffic by about 500%!)
> but anything of general interest to birdwatchers is suitable.

Thanx Russell for maintaining this.  My comments regarding starting an
usenet group should certainly not be taken as a criticism of your fine
efforts.  Especially as I'm a relative new-comer to this list.

--
Eric Hocking "A closed mouth gathers no feet."
::   Melbourne, Australia   ::