birding-aus

Simpson and Day audio &c

Subject: Simpson and Day audio &c
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 11:11:27 +1100 (EST)
The Simpson and Day bird CD has a number of problems (my principal grouses
being its slowness on my machine (it needs a Pentium, I ask you!), and the
fact that it's difficult to get into what you really want, viz the bird page).

As to the sound, on my computer speakers it doesn't sound too bad. The calls
are not as full as those on the tapes. But then all I use it for is to
listen to bird songs as a quick reference before going out, or after hearing
a call I'm not sure of. For these purposes, even granted the slowness of the
program, it's much more convenient than spooling through a tape to try to
find the call you want, even if you have the tape counter numbers.

And then there is the point that many of the original recordings on the BOC
tapes are not very good quality anyway (background noise, recording level
too faint &c &c).

A final note: Tony Howard, who does the bird calls for HANZAB has long been
floating the idea of a new set of bird recordings on a set of CDs, from his
own recordings and the material he has assembled during his work. If
everybody who thinks that this is good idea wrote saying so to the editors
of the HANZAB project, then his idea might gain more support and we might
see it come to fruition.

John Leonard (Dr),
PO Box 243,
Woden, ACT 2606