birding-aus

Re: Simpson and Day audio &c

To: <>
Subject: Re: Simpson and Day audio &c
From: "Stephen Wilbourne" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 22:23:25 +1100
John Leonard wrote:

>The Simpson and Day bird CD has a number of problems (my principal grouses
>being its slowness on my machine (it needs a Pentium, I ask you!), and the
>fact that it's difficult to get into what you really want, viz the bird
page).

>As to the sound, on my computer speakers it doesn't sound too bad. The
calls
>are not as full as those on the tapes. But then all I use it for is to
>listen to bird songs as a quick reference before going out, or after
hearing
>a call I'm not sure of. For these purposes, even granted the slowness of
the
>program, it's much more convenient than spooling through a tape to try to
>find the call you want, even if you have the tape counter numbers.

It is quite simple to bypass the program and access the songs directly from
the CD:
  - open the CD using Windows explorer
  - go into the directory 'Songs'
  - click on a file - Windows will play it using its 'Media Player'
  The files have names like 'P088.wav' where '088' corresponds to the RAOU
atlas number printed alongside the maps in the printed edition of Simpson
and Day.

This is a lot easier than using the tedious interface program on the CD
itself!

Stephen Wilbourne