birding-aus

Trip report Cape Bowling Green Nth Qld

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Trip report Cape Bowling Green Nth Qld
From: "Ian Clayton" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 01:04:25 +1000
Townsville Region Bird Observers Club.
Monthly Coast Care Survey 17/02/98.

Cape Bowling Green  is not accessable by road the method of transport is by
sea using the Marine Parks boat 'MV Sirenia".

Weather: Hot and humid, little or no wind, 0% to 25% cloud cover.

Tide: High tide at 1220 hrs.

Observers: Ian Clayton, John Lowry & Alex Appleman.

We left the Breakwater Marina soon after 0800 hrs.Heading for Cape
Cleveland.

Several sites are visited on the way to Cape Bowling Green, these are
listed below with species and numbers seen.

Cleveland Bay:

Pied Cormorant  1
Lesser Crested Tern c30
Pied Imperial Pigion 2

Cape Cleveland:

Wedge-tailed Eagle  1
Osprey  2

Twenty Foot Rock:

Eastern Reef Egret (grey)  1
Wandering Tattler  1
Sooty Oystercatcher 2
Crested Tern 8
Silver Gull 1
Welcome Swallow 15

Bray Island:

Wandering Tattler  1
Osprey  1
Sooty Oystercatcher  3
Crested Tern  6
Lesser Crested Tern  1
Welcome Swallow  6
Eastern Reef Egret (grey) 1 (white)1
Silver Gull  10

Bare Islet:

Crested Tern  70   75% Juv.
Lesser Crested Tern  5
Silver Gull  1

Bold Rock:

Eastern Reef Egret  2 (grey)

Cape Bowling Green:

Striated Heron  2
Osprey  1
Nankeen Kestrel  1
Lesser Sand Plover  12
Greater Sand Plover c305
Red-capped Plover  4
Whimbrel  1
Bar-tailed Godwit  3
Great Knot  4
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper  1
Red-necked Stint  c1655
Curlew Sandpiper  9
Broad-billed Sandpiper  2
Marsh Sandpiper  2
Silver Gull  4
White-winged Black Tern  44
Caspian Tern  5
Little Tern  c674
Crested Tern  30
Lesser Crested Tern 14
Common Tern  94
Brown Booby  2

Irrawaddy Dolphine  4
This was a close encounter the dolpines came within two metres of our
tinny.

Ian Clayton

Phone: 07 4789 1306