birding-aus

Rainbow bee-eaters

To: <>
Subject: Rainbow bee-eaters
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 19:44:44 +1030
In the recent report from the Canberra birdwatchers report (fortnight
ending Feb 20) Ian Fraser comments on how scarce Rainbow bee-eaters had
been recently.

I've noticed very few of them here in Murray Bridge this summer. A few
individuals were seen or heard in the spring and I saw 9 on the 8th of Feb
on the outskirts of the town. In years gone by they have been regular
visitors, some summers they have been resident and breeding. Some years ago
a pair nested in the roadside bank less than 100 metres from our home (we
live on the western edge of the city).

Have they been scarce elsewhere?

Trevor Hampel