birding-aus

Red-Capped Plover nesting

To: <>
Subject: Red-Capped Plover nesting
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 19:57:46 +1030
While walking on the beach near the mouth of the Glenelg River near Nelson
on the 18th December 1997, my wife and I were attracted by the "broken
wing" display being performed by a Red-Capped Plover. It did not seem too
concerned about our presence but was rather concerned about the numerous
Silver Gulls nearby.

By standing still and watching carefully we were able to locate the nest.
It contained 2 eggs. The high tide of the morning had washed all around the
eggs. The nest was a small depression in a slightly raised (1cm) mound of
sand.

The success of this nest is unknown because we left the district the next
day. Many school holiday visitors were beginning to arrive the day we left.

Trevor Hampel